Work Rights During Study
- To supplement your education in USA taking up a job is the best option
- There are lot of work opportunities while studying in USA
- You need to follow certain protocols to pursue the work rights while studying in USA
- Students holding F-1 Visa can work while studying in USA only if they follow protocols and restrictions which have been put forth by United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
Types of work rights while studying in USA
- This category permits students to work inside their campus and is most freely permitted by UCIS regulations.
- This category work does not need UCIS approval
- Holding an F-1 visa entitles you to work on campus however there are limited schools which offer on campus employment opportunities.
- Attain permission from the International Student Office before accepting any on-campus job opportunities
- You can work up to 20 hours/week when the school is in session
- There are many types of off campus employment allowed to international students holding F-1 Visa.
- However, students cannot work without the approval from DSO (Designated School Official).
- The off-campus work rights while studying in USA include:
- Optional practical training (OPT): Students with F-1 Visa can work off campus before or after completion of your degree. The job you get will be in the field that is related to the degree the student is pursuing.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT): This includes practical’s and internships which are necessary for course completion.
- Severe Economic Hardship: If the student is facing financial hardships due to not having job while studying, then they are permitted to work off-campus during their study.
- To be eligible for the above-mentioned programs you must follow and understand certain protocols
How to find during your study in USA
Follow these facile guidelines:
- Research and understand various available job opportunities in USA.
- Check on various protocols to be followed
- Follow rules and take permissions from designated authorities before you take up any work while you study in the USA.
- Check for financial benefits and opt for the best.
- Any other kind of off-campus employment in the fields of Hotels, motels, gas stations, liquor stores etc. are illegal.
- Many schools in USA offer work rights during your study in USA which coordinates with CPT for immediate employment.
- These part-time employment are not for credits or related to your educational degree.
- Students are permitted to do 12 months of OPT for each successive level of degree achieved