Visas and Entry Requirements
- Germany, with its high educational standards, exceptional teaching methodology and research infrastructure, is a sought-after destination for higher studies among internationals students.
- However, you will not be able to pursue your dream right away. There are various steps to be followed to achieve what you have aimed for.
Types of Visa for German Education
Students who wish to study in Germany must apply for an apt visa. Following are the major German Education Visa’s
- Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning) – is for students who wish to study German language.
- Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung)– students who are still in search of a suitable course and university or are awaiting their acceptance letter can opt for this category visa.
- Student Visa (Visum Zu Studienzwecken) – is for students who have already been accepted to a German university.
How to Apply for German Educational Visa
- You must be an early bird and apply at least 3 months before you move to the country.
- You must contact a local German embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Certain embassies might ask for a proof that you don’t have a criminal record.
- You must also prove that you possess enough funds for your educational expenses.
- If your course duration exceeds a period of 90 days, you must then apply for a National visa for study purposes rather than Schengen Visa.
- You must apply for residence permit within two weeks of arrival in the country and register with local Alien Registration Office.
- The residence permit holds a validity of 2 years and should be renewed before expiry.
- The initial cost of residence permit is €110 and then the fee is €80 for each extension.
Documents Required for German Educational Visa
Initial visa requirements for German Educational Visa:
- A completed application form
- Valid passport
- Two photographs
- Acceptance letter from a German university
- Transcript of academic record
- If intending to study in German language, a certificate of German language proficiency or some other proof must be produced for the same.
- Proof of possessing sufficient funds for education expenses
- Health insurance certificate
- Declaration of authenticity of documents submitted
You will need the following documents to apply for residence permit once you arrive in Germany:
- Proof of valid private or public health insurance
- Certificate of enrolment from your university
- Proof of sufficient finances
- Valid passport
- Current visa, if you have one
- Certificate of health (if applicable)
- Your tenancy agreement (if applicable)
- Biometric passport photos (if applicable)
- Residence permit fee
Other Vital Information on German Educational Visa
- You must schedule a visa appointment and offer your visa application documents to the visa officer
- Working in Germany with Student Visa is legal; however, students are restricted to specific days and period to work.
- Graduates from EU/EA can stay in the country to seek work without any restrictions or permits.
- Applicants must pay their visa fee via bank transfer. Checks and credit cards are not accepted.
- The application form for visa can be downloaded for free from the website of Embassy or Consulate of Germany in your country.