Scholarship Schemes Ireland
- Tuition fees in Irish universities vary depending upon the type of university and course you opt for. However, undergraduate programmes in all public institution is Tuition free.
- The Irish government provides numerous scholarships for both undergraduate and post-graduate courses, which in turn plays a significant role in attracting international students
- Scholarships are aimed at students who come from a financially week background and who otherwise would not be able to attend a university.
- Some other scholarships are aimed at attaining academic excellence by attracting brightest students via scholarship programs.
Types of Irish scholarship
- Unlike other countries there is no central scholarship granting and hence each individual institution provides their own scholarship schemes.
- The eligibility criteria for scholarships of each universities and institution differs. They have set forth their own eligibility criteria.
- There are also various research specific scholarships offered for research students for their research purposes and both national and international students may apply for it.
- There are also some national government scholarships available as well as some that are funded by research bodies.
- There are also substantial number of local scholarships available for foreign students which are a mixture of Government as well as private scholarships.
- Scholarships such as typical scholarships pay for undergraduate fees, through the Free Fees scheme for EU students and also through annual scholarships awarded by Government, university or research bodies.
- studentships that fund a student throughout the course of a PhD based on academic merit are also available which are some of the additional schemes for postgraduate students.
Conditions to obtain an Irish scholarship
- Majority of the available scholarships are merit based and on past academic performance.
- The government of Ireland encourages international students to opt Ireland as their study destination by providing them university specific as well as government scholarships.
- Some of the major conditions to receive an Irish scholarship are:
- proof of academic excellence,
- writing of a personal statement indicating future plans
- winning of an offer at an Irish university
Other Essential Information
- Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship Programme 2015 is one of the government funded programs where the minister for education and skills awards scholarships worth a total of €750,000 to 30 high achieving students from Brazil, China, India and Malaysia.