Scholarships to Study in Canada
Studying in foreign countries and reputed institutions there requires a lot of money and most students with stable and strong financial backgrounds can realize their dream of learning abroad. Many reputed Universities and colleges offer scholarships to study in Canada so that talented students from the not-so-sound financial background are given a fair chance.
The Canadian scholarships for International Students are rendered purely based on outstanding academic achievements. The type of financial aid and the number of scholarships vary according to institutions. The scholarships to study in Canada is primarily available for Postgraduate level students; all the scholarships are prestigious, limited, and highly competitive. Winning scholarships to study in Canada not only fetches you monetary benefits, it also helps you stand out among thousands of students graduating every year Canada. The top eight Universities of Canada viz. McMaster University, The University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, University of Toronto, University of Ottawa, University of Waterloo, University of Western Ontario, and the University of Victoria offers numerous scholarships programs for students of Bachelors Masters and Research programs.
While deciding to study in Canada, a student should thoroughly research the scholarships offered by his/her colleges and Universities, and other financial aids provided by the government for which he/she is eligible for. More scholarships are available for Research and Masters students in Canada. Reputed colleges like Niagara and Humber offer full and partial tuition scholarships, which are renewable in nature, to international students.
Here are few prominent scholarship programs available for undergraduate students.
- Centennial College awards Canadian Scholarships for international students every year called the International Student Academic Performance Scholarship. The award is merit-based, and the student must have completed two consecutive semesters to be eligible.
- George Brown College offers an entrance Scholarship which is available to first-year students under any program. The financial aid is awarded as second-semester tuition fee for newly enrolled international students of the post-secondary program.
- Niagara College offers the International Student Awards to students who achieve great academic and co-curricular feats. Niagara College also gives out SAC International Award for full-time international students studying any NC Post-Secondary Program.
- Entrance scholarships instituted by Humber are given out to international students based on their academics, referee/reference letters, community involvement, and statement of interest.
- FDU Academic Scholarships are given out during the time of admission only. Full-time students could use their scholarships for the fall and spring semesters.
- The University of York offers several bursaries, awards, and entrance scholarships to study in Canada which are exclusively available for international applicants pursuing undergraduate programs. To avail the scholarship, an international student should demonstrate leadership skills and letters of recommendation apart from academic achievements.
Graduate Scholarships & Awards
- International students pursuing full-time courses are offered entrance scholarships to study in Canada by Humber College when they are entering a postgraduate program for the first time. The Humber’s Scholarship Committee which is formed to choose the right candidate for the scholarship takes academics and co-curricular activities into account. Humber’s is Students federation has constituted another entrance scholarship for full-time students enrolling in a program for the first time. To avail the entrance scholarship, a student must exhibit extraordinary performance by scoring a minimum 80 percent grade point average.
- There is another scholarship available for students belonging to the Commonwealth Countries. The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program is open to all disciplines and it offers short-term exchange opportunities for candidates to study or research in Canada at the masters or doctoral level.
- Students who demonstrate both scholarly achievement and leadership skills are eligible for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. Students of graduate studies, who have achieved a first-class average in each of the last two years of full-time study can apply for the scholarship. There are several other prerequisites that will be considered apart from this general criterion for this scholarship.
- FDU Academic Scholarships awards are given out at the time of admission only. The FDU Scholarships could be used only by the full-time students for the fall and spring semesters.
The University of Manitoba, University of Calgary, University of Regina, University of Waterloo, and the University of Saskatchewan also offers scholarships to study in Canada for postgraduate students.
To know more about Scholarships in Canada for International Students, get in touch with our team of experts.